Whether you had a few beers and are feeling tipsy or you’ve been partying all day and are drunk, getting behind the wheel while under the influence is never a good idea. Even if you’ve only had a glass of wine or two, if your blood alcohol content is 0.08% or more, and you get behind the wheel of a car, truck, boat, or golf cart, you still can be ticketed with a DUI or DWI or worse, cause a car accident.
Dangers of Drinking and Driving
While you may feel “ok” to drive your friends home after a night out at the bar, if you’ve been drinking, it could still impair you enough to affect your driving, even if you don’t feel any effects from the alcohol. The many effects of drinking and driving include:
- Reduced concentration and slower reaction times. Alcohol can affect the way your body and brain react to certain situations, such as a car slamming on its brakes in front of you or a person running out into the street.
- Your hand-eye coordination is affected. Drinking can impair your motor skills which could result in you swerving in the roadway and affect your hands on the steering wheel.
- Memory loss. Alcohol can cause you to lose your memory temporarily, which could result in you not remembering what to do when you’re driving.
- Enhance your risk of getting into a car accident. When you get behind the wheel after drinking, you are more at risk of getting in an accident. This could result in you or someone else getting severely hurt.
- Severe consequences. Drunk driving can lead to a long road of life-changing results, such as killing someone in an accident and legal and financial repercussions.
What Happens When You Are Charged With Drunk Driving?
If you have been charged with a DUI, DWI, or DWAI, you may be facing severe fines, a lost driver’s license, probation, jail time, loss of employment, or increased insurance costs. Therefore, you will likely need legal services to give you legal advice and a good defense team. McPhillips, Fitzgerald & Cullum LLP has a great team of attorneys who specialize in driving while intoxicated charges.
Charged With DUI? Schedule Your Consultation Today
To get the best attorneys to help your defense and offer legal advice when you’ve been charged with a DUI, call McPhillips, Fitzgerald & Cullum LLP in Glens Falls, NY, and Miami Shores, FL, at 518-792-1174. We can provide you with a consultation with one of our attorneys specializing in DWI, DWAI, and DUIs.